Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) are private, business led and funded organisations tasked with delivering services to improve an area’s trading environment. London’s BIDs (which number over 50) are now leading on ambitious public realm regeneration projects that seek to address the city’s problems with a strained transport system, sustainability, poor air quality, climate change and the demand for a more pedestrian-oriented public environment.
Representing the business community as well as other local stakeholders, BIDs work alongside statutory organisations such as TfL, local authorities and the Greater London Authority to affect change; occupying a somewhat unique position in the development of their respective districts.
- Team London Bridge – Creating a series of green boulevards, quietways, alleyways and street furniture to transform the pedestrian and cycling experience as the new train station nears completion.
- Better Bankside – Urban Forest projects bringing new life and uses to the outdoor spaces of Bankside.
- New West End Company – Working with Westminster and Transport for London to transform traffic on Oxford Street and create the world’s best outdoor street shopping experience.
- The Northbank BID – Transforming the Strand and Aldwych public realm along with 100 other projects identified to improve green infrastructure, traffic calming and air quality.
- Chaired by John Dales, Director at Urban Movement.
Drinks and light bites will be provided.
Please book your free tickets here.
Open City is a charity promoting an ethical, people-centered approach to designing, making, sustaining and accessing the buildings and places that define our cities.
Green Sky Thinking is Open City’s annual, week-long professional programme, promoting sustainable design and best practice in architecture, engineering and urban design.
This year’s Green Sky Thinking event, set for May 15 - 19, is centered around a simple idea: building the Open City. All events planned for the week-long programme will address this idea, one way or another.